What is authentication?
When a charger or charging system has authentication activated, charging will not start until the user has unlocked the charger with the app or a registered rfid card.
Authentication and access control can be administrated by the installation owner.
Authentication can be set up for the entire charging system or set up individually per charging station.
How to enable and administrate authentication on a Zaptec Go charger
On Zaptec Go, this is handled in the app.
Under "Home", select your installation and "Access to this charger".
Here you can choose to allow anyone to use the charger, or only registered users.
This is also where you give access to users.
How to enable authentication on a Zaptec Pro charging system?
Only installation owners have access to enable authentication in the Zaptec portal.
- Log in to Zaptec portal.
- Click the Installations tab.
- Click on the installation in the list that you want to activate with authentication.
- Under Installation settings, click the Authentication tab.
- Select Authorization required.
- Click the Save button at the very bottom to activate.
Individually choose which charging stations should have authentication
It is possible to choose individual authentication on specific charging stations.
Note, this is usually not possible if the facility is affiliated with a payment operator.
- Select the charging station you want to deactivate with authentication.
- In the charging station settings tab, uncheck "Authorization Required".
- Press Save.
If individual charging stations are deactivated with authentication,
a charge report has to be generated twice.
Read more here.
Administrating users in a Zaptec Pro charging system
Only user with an owner role on the installation can manage accesses.
- Click on the installations tab, after logging in to the portal.
- Click on the installation in the list.
- Click the Access tab to give the user access to the entire charging system.
- Alternatively, click on the current charging station that the user should have access to.
- Click Grant Access.
- Enter email to the user in the search field, then click Search.
- Check to invite the user, then click Next.
- Check to select the role of the user, then click Next.
- Confirm the correct email address of the user, then click Save.
An invitation will be sent to the provided email address.
The user must accept and complete the registration in the received e-mail,
to access the installation or charging station.
What is the difference between owner, user and service access.
- User permission on a charger or installation allows for charging when authentication is required
- Does not provide an overview of the installation / charging station
- Users can see the charge history for all sessions registered on the account
- Zaptec Portal provides an overview of which installation/ charging stations the user role has been assigned
- Required to manage access, monitor status and view user data.
- Owner permission on a Zaptec charger allows you to view all charge history on the charger
- More features available in Zaptec Portal and App
- Awarded to users who are set to manage facilities and act as a point of contact with the installer
- View the charge history for the entire installation
- Create charge reports, which will enable you to distribute the cost related to charging
- Manage permissions
- Set authentication
- Upgrade firmware
- Subscribe to warning emails
- The role does not allow you to change technical settings for either systems or charging stations
- Required for the installer to be able to keep track of technical settings for systems / charging stations
- Create new installations
- Add new chargers
- Enable power management functions
- Manage technical setting on installations and chargers
- Service permission is limited to authorized installers and service partners
Giving access to a payment operator or installer
Installers, and 3rd party integrators like payment operators, needs service access to the installation to perform their functions.
The installation owner can assign this access.
- Select the Reseller tab and then enter the installer or payment operator's lookup key. (A four-digit code)
- Click search.
- Select operator.
- Check and click next.
- Select service access and press next.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which key fob does the charging station support?
Zaptec supports NFC/RFID standard: MIFARE Classic, type A.
It is the most common standard for RFID key fobs and NFC charging cards.
Register charging card against my user profile
This is done in the Zaptec App, from "My account". Select "Add key fob" and follow the instructions.
Note, you need to be near a Zaptec Charger to add key fobs to your account.
How do I know if the charging station requires authentication?
Status indicator light will go yellow when plugging in the vehicle.
A charge report is an overview of the consumption in an installation over a given period, based on the consumption from each charger in the system.
Charging reports are only available to system owners.
As a system owner, you can ensure a fair distribution of costs using the report available in the Zaptec Portal.
Charge reports can be exported to excel.