What is authentication?
When a charger or charging system has authentication activated, charging will not start until the user has unlocked the charger with the app or a registered rfid card.
Authentication and access control can be administrated by the installation owner.
Authentication can be set up for the entire charging system or set up individually per charging station.
In the Zaptec app:
- From the Home dashboard, find your charger and click on the Key icon
- Turn on the toggle switch to restrict access to charger(s)
- Add users by email to give access to the charger
The Key icon should now be updated to show "Access - restricted" instead of "Access -Open."
In the Zaptec Portal:
- Go to Installation tab, Settings and Authentication
- Select Internal authentication and enable the authentication required button
- Click on the Permission tab
- Add users by email to give access to the charger
Under the circuit tab you will now see a tiny man on the charge point which indicates that authentication is required.
Individually choose which charging stations should have authentication
It is possible to choose individual authentication on specific charging stations.
Note, this is usually not possible if the facility is affiliated with a payment operator.
- Select the charging station you want to deactivate with authentication
- In the charging station settings tab, uncheck "Authorization Required"
- Press Save
If individual charging stations are deactivated with authentication,
a charge report has to be generated twice.
Administrating users in a Zaptec Pro charging system
Only user with an owner role on the installation can manage accesses.
- Click on the installations tab, after logging in to the portal.
- Click on the installation in the list.
- Click the Access tab to give the user access to the entire charging system.
- Alternatively, click on the current charging station the user should access.
- Click Grant Access.
- Enter the email to the user in the search field, then click Search.
- Check to invite the user, then click Next.
- Check to select the role of the user, then click Next.
- Confirm the correct email address of the user, then click Save.
An invitation will be sent to the provided email address.
To access the installation or charging station, the user must accept and complete the registration in the received e-mail.
What is the difference between owner, user and service access.
- User permission on a charger or installation allows for charging when authentication is required
- Does not provide an overview of the installation / charging station
- Users can see the charge history for all sessions registered on the account
- Zaptec Portal provides an overview of which installation/ charging stations the user role has been assigned
- Required to manage access, monitor status and view user data.
- Owner permission on a Zaptec charger allows you to view all charge history on the charger
- More features available in Zaptec Portal and App
- Awarded to users who are set to manage facilities and act as a point of contact with the installer
- View the charge history for the entire installation
- Create charge reports, which will enable you to distribute the cost related to charging
- Manage permissions
- Set authentication
- Upgrade firmware
- Subscribe to warning emails
- The role does not allow you to change technical settings for either systems or charging stations
- Required for the installer to be able to keep track of technical settings for systems / charging stations
- Create new installations
- Add new chargers
- Enable power management functions
- Manage technical setting on installations and chargers
- Service permission is limited to authorized installers and service partners
Giving access to a payment operator or installer
Payment operators or installers may need access to the installation to perform their functions. The installation Owner can give this access.
The Owner should ask the payment operator or installer to provide their Zaptec Lookup key, which consists of four letters or numbers. The payment operator or installer can find this on their User Group page in the Zaptec portal.
The Owner can now go to their installation in the portal and click on Permissions, then Give Permission
On the Add Permission dialogue, click the Partner tab and enter the installer's 4-digit Lookup key
Click Search and the name of the chosen partner will appear. Select the partner and give the required permissions e.g. Service
Click Next then Save. Your chosen partner will now has the necessary permission to access the site.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which RFID chip does the charging station support?
Zaptec supports NFC/RFID standard: MIFARE Classic, type A. It is the most common standard for RFID chips and NFC charging cards.
How can I register charge card against my user profile?
In the app, go to my account > add Zaptec key and scan the key on the rfid sone.
In the Portal this is done manually. Portal > my profile > add charge card > enter number on chip.
If you want to use your credit card ect for authentication we recommend adding it in the app.
How do I know if the charging station requires authentication?
The status indicator light will go yellow when plugging in the vehicle. In the app you will see a key icon and in the portal the charge point will be marked with a lock.